Wednesday 29 February 2012

From Bars to Bikram - Transition into the new modern - YOU (Part 1)




Oh what a transition I've been on in the last 6 months. I've swapped cocktails to green smoothies, benders to Bikram, Marie Claire to Nature & Health magazines, sleep ins to early rises with morning rituals. With modern day inspirations like Miranda Kerr, Jess Ainscough, Sarah Beth and a bevy of other healthful & spiritual beauties, it only came natural - I want what she's having! Wanna join in?


My mantra is mind, body, soul - referring to the strong correlation beween each. If you are working on the mind and body but still feel like something is missing - then you have most likely been neglecting your soul. This post is about the spiritual self work you can do to begin the journey to realising there is more to you - the real you.

Your soul sits with you always - but it can easily be clouded in a muck of thoughts, negative self talk, stories your mind makes up, words, images and emotions. Behind it all, there is a beaming divinity which is consistent, unchanging, unmoving, & existing in bliss. It's the power that guides you and gives you strength. Listen to it, grow it and show it. There is no other way about it if you are to live a more meaningful life. So switch your mind off for just a moment, and get into the groove of you with Part 1 of the following techniques (tried and tested by me):

Meditation

Why meditate: Meditation is a tool to create room for peace within. It's about shutting off the outer world, shutting off the chattering mind and letting an inner world grow. Benefits of meditation include: clearer thinking, creation of balance in our hectic lifestyles, relaxation (apparently half an hours worth is more beneficial than 8 hours sleep), development of insight and intuition. If you need more info, see 100 benefits of meditation.

My experience: In my own practice, I try and do some form of meditation for at least 10 minutes a day and preferably in the morning. With everything calm inside my day is more positive, energtic & fulfilling. When I first tried meditation last year, & my mind was still being a complete monkey, my mind would drift off and I would get frustrated that I couldnt do it properly. The key is to let go of this, when thoughts come, notice them, but dont fight them. Just bring your attention back to your breath. The more you meditate, the better your practice, the closer you get each time.

How to do it: There are a number of ways to meditate, at the end of the day its what you feel comfortable with, and then slowly increasing how long you do it.  Personally I like guided meditation. The YouTube clip here is a great start.


Mindfulness practice

Mindfulness is all about being in the very present moment without getting caught up in your thoughts. You can practice mindfulness when you eat, when you brush your teeth, while your walking - at any time in the day! Mindfulness is important as the more we practice mindfulness our awareness, insightfulness and clarity of the mind increases, meaning we are more productive and at one with everything around us. It is where we find acceptance and it's where we find happiness :). At first mindfulness was a hard concept for me to get my head around, but with a bit of practice it becomes something you incorporate deeply into your life. You start to notice destructive thought patterns as they arise, and are able to dissipate them quickly.

I was given a mindfulness meditation CD by Dave. It only lasts 10 minutes and gets you to focus on each part of the body, whilst practicng deep breathing. You then notice sounds around you but see them as mental objects rather than thinking about where they are coming from, & then it gets you to fully notice your thoughts, without getting carried away by them. Another way you can practice mindfulness is to turn your thoughts off and completely notice with all of your senses what is happening in that very present moment. While you walk, you might notice the burn in your legs or your breath, or the feeling of the fresh air whipping against your face. Be present, be mindful :)

Yoga

There are many forms of yoga but I will only go into Bikram at this stage because its had the most benefits for me. What I love about Bikram is that it has shown me some incredible things about myself. Every time I finish the 90 minutes of hot room strain I walk out feeling more confident than I did before. With my mind concentrated on my breath and my body, I find mental stillness. When I first started Bikram, I wanted to run out of the room because of the heat, but now that I stay in there and face and accept the environment, I see myself strongly facing my fears. I am constantly challenging my body with the postures, pushing each one further and further, so I am building strength, detoxifying my system and breaking through my own barriers. Locust pose in Salabhasana is my most dreaded pose in the class (see above). Previously I had only been able to lift my legs about 2 cm off the ground, and today I started to feel my legs lift way higher and I was so proud of that. I am overcoming and beating my biggest challenges! To know I can face these challenges head on in class, means I can bring it out into my own life. Bikram yoga not only gives me body strength but mental and inner strength also. I go to Perth Bikram Yoga - for more information see here: http://www.perthbikramyoga.com.au/


Practice each regularly, and you'll start to feel more in touch with yourself as the mental muck makes a move. Sometimes we ARE the journey, we in ourselves are an awesome thing to grow, challenge and discover. If you think you can give up nights out for just one month to practice any of the above, I promise the rewards will be much greater than any hangover! ;) In Part 2 I will give you my insights into positive affirmations, gratefulness and putting trust in the universe.

xxx Nat




No comments:

Post a Comment